Monday, August 23, 2010

Fifteen Helpless Minutes


As usual, It was a tiring day I was too relieved to get down at my stop. On walking down a few steps I noticed a gathering of 20 to 30 people. I expected it to be a street play or some vendor selling his items at a discount. On getting closer I could see a few feet hurrying and many unhappy faces. My curiosity grew and I decided to have a look.

I squeezed myself through human boulders and somehow managed to reach the center of the action. Oh! My God. What I saw was too terrifying; there lay a young guy with his life fluid oozing all around. A shiver ran down my spine. In a moment all my excitement had turned to shock and fear. I somehow gathered some courage and asked the one beside me, “How did this happen? Has the ambulance been called?”

He turned towards me and said “It was an accident; we had called the ambulance almost half an hour ago”. He was in no mood to elaborate nor was I ready to listen.

I looked down to see the young fellow vomiting blood, which ran down his cheeks and onto the road. No one dared to touch him (perhaps, afraid of the long arms of our law). One person took pity and poured water to his mouth, he made sure that he did not to touch him. Accidently I looked into the eyes of the wounded person only to see tears and a desperate cry for help.

I was pulled back to the world when a strong arm pulled me back to make way for the late ambulance. They took some more time in analyzing him and covering his wounds, later they put him on a stretcher. As if we shared a bond his head tilted towards to me as if he wanted to convey some message to all. And he was then taken in the ambulance..

After two hours, I got to know that he was no more. On hearing this, tears rolled down my cheeks. Though he was a total stranger, I felt a lot of pain. Had the ambulance reached on time, had they been more professional, it might have been that things would have been different for the young guy.

Till today, I am looking for answers for those tears..

2 comments:

  1. Isn't human life the cheapest! i can empathize with you. Anoop had a similar experience but rather more disturbing where he actually held the broken skull in his hands. I only heard from him and still can't forget it.

    On the other hand, I am not sure if we can blame the ambulance for the delay. As i know where you live (if that is where you got down), I can imagine what all the ambulance has to swim through.

    That apart, I think you should know that it is very easy to be a Good Samaritan. In fact, in such a situation, if you do something to help (provided you know what you are trying to do), even if the victim doesn't survive, the law cannot punish you but only commend you.

    According to what you said, it looks like the victim here had internal injuries (because of which he was vomiting blood) and also obviously some external injuries. Any form of informed first aid would have saved him. Maybe the water given to him actually killed him. Attending to some of the external wounds would have stopped some bleeding.

    108 really helps in this case. You can actually keep them online and attend to some of the first aid. It is not easy but if you can see that you can save a life, the difficulty doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly thanks for your interest in it.

    I strongly believe that situations like these will continue to happen unless these issues are not addressed. I cannot blame anyone for the incidence as you have mentioned ambulance as this is a collective failure, right from the traffic police to every thing..

    It may sound really ridiculous but if you carefully investigate you can understand.
    Let me make it cleat for you this is one such incidence that had shocked Bangalore "CARLTON FIRE" incidence many lost their lives around (9+, I guess). Here also the ambulance took its own time to arrive, and none took responsibility for the delay (a ready made reason traffic jam)

    Guess what the police had to say "Its very difficult to divert traffic in city limits". The same persons blocks roads for the so called VIP's (Minister's and there chelas) for hours together. Look at the insensitivity these mongers have.

    I wrote the above blog expecting some kind of awakening people should have. I believe people should be held accountable for there actions.


    Then only we can have a responsible nation

    ReplyDelete